Created specially for like-minded travellers.
This voyage is about nature – its abundance and variety – and about the challenges facing species of all shapes and sizes as they cope with a rapidly changing environment. In Costa Rica, which has done more than any other Central American country to preserve and protect its natural treasures, we explore three of its world famous nature reserves: the luxuriant tropical vegetation and fascinating fauna of Curù and Manuel Antonio National Parks, as well as the marvels of Corcovado National Park, once described by National Geographic as “the most biologically intense place on Earth in terms of biodiversity.” In these parks, we will find a variety of ecosystems – ranging from rainforest to mangroves and beaches – that provide habitat for a mind-boggling variety of wildlife: monkeys, coatimundis, peccaries, toucans, macaws, and literally hundreds of species of birds. In Panama, we extend our encounter with the rich biodiversity of Central America as we visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Darien Jungle. After transiting the Panama Canal and admiring its design and construction, we spend two days in the fascinating marine world of the San Blas Islands, where we snorkel at Holandes Cayes and visit with the Kuna Indians, who govern the islands as an autonomous province with minimal interference from the national government.
10 nights aboard Le Dumont-D'Urville
January 6 - 16, 2020
- Lectures and discussions with ecologist Paul Donahue
- Outings and shore visits in Zodiac® inflatables with a team of experienced naturalist guides.
- Lectures and information sessions hosted by our naturalist-guides, covering wildlife, history, climate, environmental protection.
- Hiking and snorkeling opportunities
- Landscapes: pristine beaches, mangroves, rainforests
- Wildlife: Howler monkeys, white collared monkeys, coatimundis, sloths, agoutis, and the tiny Squirrel Monkey; hundreds of species of birds and butterflies, including toucans and the Scarlet Macaw
- Meetings with local peoples, including the Kuna of San Blas Islands
Contact your Travel Professional or click here for complete voyage details.