As we all experience this unconventional “layover” together, Avalon Waterways has shared details about its 2021 season, giving travellers more opportunities to dream about – and anticipate – their next getaway.
Along the legendary Danube River, Avalon Waterways has unveiled six new ports as well as three new 2021 European river cruise vacations that feature Croatia, Serbia, Romania and Bulgaria.
Spotlighting NEW Danube River ports:
- ILOK, CROATIA: Surrounded by wine-growing hills, Ilok is the easternmost town in Croatia. Here, Avalon Waterways will invite travellers to delve into the town’s 1,000-year-old wine-making tradition and explore Ilok’s cultural heritage, protected by a medieval fortress.
- GOLUBAC, SERBIA: Sitting high above the Danube River, just outside the Iron Gates, is the medieval Golubac fortress: One of the best-preserved fortresses in Europe. Here, guests will soon be invited to learn about the area’s tumultuous history, its ties to the Habsburg Monarchy and Ottoman Empire.
- CONSTANTA, ROMANIA: An incredible, port city on the Black Sea, Constanta offers sweeping views and a seaside getaway. Here, travelers can soon explore the city’s Natural History & Archeological Museum for a glimpse into early Romanian cultures.
- YBBS, AUSTRIA: Established in the 1300s, Ybbs acted as an important port for trade in the Middle Ages. Today, it serves as the entry point for the Danube to lower Austria. Avalon Waterways will be the first international cruise operator to stop in this village and invite guests to experience the area.
- HAINBURG, AUSTRIA: This beautiful Austrian village sits 20 miles outside Bratislava and has a strong Habsburg history. Here, Avalon guests will have the opportunity to experience the area’s wetlands, castle and even its strong, Roman past.
Avalon Waterways’ NEW 2021 Danube itineraries – including those that feature new ports are:
- NEW Nine-Day Balkan Odyssey (from Bucharest to Zagreb)
- NEW Nine-Day The Danube from Croatia to the Black Sea (from Zagreb to Bucharest)
- NEW 16-Day The Danube from Germany to the Black Sea (from Deggendorf to Bucharest)
“On our all-new Balkan Odyssey cruise, travellers will embark on an adventure along the Danube and Drava rivers for an unforgettable journey through time and tradition,” said Pam Hoffee, managing director of Avalon Waterways. “This itinerary is perfectly book-ended with two nights in both Bucharest and Zagreb and represents our Danube expansion, giving travellers more ports and more possibilities for their river cruise exploration.”
All cruise itineraries sail on Avalon Waterways’ signature Suite Ships which provide guests with two full decks of 200-square-foot, one-of-a-kind Panorama Suites with Open-Air Balconies and beds facing the incredible views for which river cruising is famous.