An Immersion in Japanese Culture
Japan is a country pulled in two
radically different directions. It deeply honors its past but rushes
headlong into the future. Hyper-modernity exists side by side with the
quiet serenity of ancient shrines and gardens. On this voyage we
discover both of these aspects. The traditional aesthetic is evident everywhere in the architecture and adornments of the Buddhist and Shinto shrines we visit throughout our journey, in a traditional tea ceremony, and in our private audience with the Abbot of Kofukuji Temple in Nagasaki.
The modernist impulse is evident in the architecture of the cities
through which we travel and also represented in the arts on display in
the Adachi Museum in Sakaiminato, in the Pusan Museum of Art, and in the Ohara Museum of Art in Kurashiki. Sampling Japanese food and drink; experiencing traditions of music and dance; witnessing the practice of religion; viewing art both
ancient and modern; walking through modern cities and admiring ancient
shrines – these are the elements of our immersion in the culture of Japan.
30 May 2020 to 7 June 2020
9 days / 8 nights aboard Le Soleal
Departure Port : Osaka
Arrival Port : Maizuru
- An included exclusively arranged ceremony and reception hosted by the Abbot of the Kofukuji Temple in Nagasaki (see details under “Cruise Package”)
• An included exclusive traditional Tea Ceremony
• Lectures and discussions with cultural historian Timon Screech and landscape design experts Holly and Osamu Shimizu
• Additional opportunities to immerse ourselves in local culture include:
o Special Performance of Kagura dance at Itsukushima Shrine
o Cooking class on how to cut and plate the deadly puffer fish
o Guided walk of Pusan fish market, including lunch
o Private visit to Yuushien Garden in Sakaiminato
• Optional excursions to iconic temples, shrines, and gardens all along the itinerary: Korakuen in Okayama, Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima, and more
• Optional excursions to art museums: Adachi Museum in Sakaiminato, the Pusan Museum of Art, and the Ohara Museum of Art in Kurashiki
New to PONANT guests save an additional US$600 per person if booked by April 30th, 2019!
Contact your Travel Professional or click here for additional details.