After the most extensive upgrade in Hurtigruten's 125 years of history, MS Finnmarken will reemerge as a brand new premium expedition cruise ship.
From 2021 the fully refurbished MS Finnmarken will explore handpicked destinations along the rugged Norwegian coastline on year-round expedition cruises.
Already from 2020, guests travelling on Hurtigruten’s Original Coastal Voyage along the Norwegian coastline will get a unique opportunity to experience a brand new MS Finnmarken.
“We will transform her into a full-fledged premium expedition cruise ship, with all the comforts, facilities and expertise you need for creating a perfect adventure,” said Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam.
The keel-to-mast upgrade will bring several new features to the ship. Some of the highlights include:
- Substantially upgraded, low-emission engines, complying with all known and upcoming regulations (Tier 3), installment of shore-power connectivity and preparing her for future battery pack installation.
- All cabins and suites will be fully refurbished. Using natural Scandinavian materials such as granite, oak, birch and wool, this will create a relaxed and stylish look and feel, and add to the premium on-board experience. On deck 8 aft, in the current gym and sauna area, five large suites with large panoramic windows and spectacular views will be added.
- Four brand new restaurants will be added:
- Restaurant Aune: Hurtigruten's new expedition cruise main restaurant concept. Aune will be social and informal with the use of natural elements in design and interiors, and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner based on a Scandinavian identity.
- Restaurant Lindstrøm: A specialty restaurant named after the favourite chef of the Norwegian polar heroes, will be added. Lindstrøm will be an upper premium fine dining restaurant with strong roots in traditional Norwegian cooking that are contrasted with modern cuisine.
- Fredheim: An informal eatery named after a legendary 1920s hunting station in Svalbard that sheltered adventurers from around the world will be added on deck 7. In addition, a new grill venue will be added outdoor on deck 8.
- Hurtigruten's signature Science Center will be added on deck 4. Packed with state-of-the-art technology and high-tech gadgets such as touch screens, science equipment and other interactive features, the edutainment area will also be the on-board HQ for the ship’s Expedition Team.
- The new larger wellness area will be added on deck 7, and includes a lounge, treatment rooms, gym and panoramic sauna.
- The outdoor pool area will be fully refurbished, the shop expanded, and her car deck will be replaced by the launching area for Hurtigruten explorer boats (ribs) and other expedition equipment.
MS Finnmarken's extensive art collection will be preserved during the refurb, which will take place in the first quarter of 2020.