In 2019, escorted tour companies Globus, Cosmos and NEW Cosmos Lite are getting cheeky, showing travellers the undiscovered places that tell the stories and secrets of Great Britain’s green hills and seaside villages. From winding paths to windswept cliffs, Canadians are invited to Britain’s authentic places – beyond London Bridge – to discover uncrowded England, Scotland and Wales where they can shop for bits and bobs in more than 30 charming counties, unhurried hamlets and highland villages on nine Undiscovered Britain tours, including six NEW tours for 2019, ranging from six to 14 days.
“Of course Canadians love Britain for its famous icons such as Big Ben and Stonehenge, but we’re suggesting that there’s so much to see when you take the ‘cobblestone’ road less travelled,” says Stéphanie Bishop of the Globus family of brands’ Canadian office. Last year, she adds, the company launched its Undiscovered Italy tours to huge success and they are taking that same concept to England, Wales and Scotland, to some of the scenic, “secret” spots where the locals take their vacations.
The new tours include:
NEW! Globus’ Britain Uncovered (12 days, priced from $3,569 Cdn excluding airfare)
William Shakespeare wrote, “This blessed plot, this Earth, this realm, this England.” You don’t need to be a king to find the hidden gems of England, Wales and Scotland. Uncover Britain’s legends and lore – from bustling squares to peaceful pastures, from classic castles to quaint cottages, and crashing waves to sleepy lochs. On this new tour, travellers will …
- Explore Exeter, a small west-country city on the Exe River that packs a vibrant punch of history and heritage pre-dating the Romans’ arrival in 50 A.D.
- Get to know the locals in Widecombe-in-the-Moor while enjoying a pint of shandy or a “cuppa” (cup of tea) in this unspoiled village.
- Wander around Tintern’s stunning scenery, including the crumbling ruins of the magnificent Cistercian Abbey in Wales’ beautiful Wye Valley (which inspired even Jane Austen)
- Wonder at the Tudor-style birthplace of William Shakespeare in Stratford-Upon-Avon on the banks of the River Avon.
NEW! Globus’ Hidden Treasures of Southern England (6 days, priced from $2,049 Cdn excluding airfare)
Where do Londoners go to escape the hustle and bustle of the city? For centuries, they’ve headed to the calming hills, the soothing hot springs and the solitude of the seaside resorts of Southern England. On this new tour, travelers can follow in the footsteps of royals and writers to enjoy the great getaways only the locals know while visiting …
- Bath. First enjoyed by the Romans, the curative mineral waters of Bath – and its splendid Georgian architecture – remain a respite for today’s traveler.
- The Cotswolds. Dramatic hills and sweeping meadows dotted with stately castles, honey-colored villages and charming thatched-roof cottages provide travelers a fairytale setting for unforgettable vacation moments.
- Tetbury. An “architectural gem,” this charming wool town invites travelers to step back in time to enjoy backdrops reminiscent of the 16th and 17thcenturies.
- The Isle of Wight. This is a yachter’s playground set off England’s South Coast.
“We’re also delighted to launch two brand new itineraries with our escorted tour value brand Cosmos,” says Bishop. “By providing fewer inclusions and more free time with Cosmos, we keep costs down and are able to provide hugely-popular vacations.”
NEW! Cosmos’ British Highlights (6 days, priced from Cdn$1,319 excluding airfare)
The perfect balance of town and country, this tour leads travellers to the capital cities of London, Edinburgh and Cardiff while inviting them to venture into the places only the locals know in England, Scotland and Wales. On this NEW itinerary, tour members will …
- Spend time in Cardiff, a city nestled between an ancient fort and modern waterfront, with captivating architecture and energizing nightlife.
- Walk along the medieval streets of Chester, lined with its signature timber-framed buildings.
- Breathe in the beauty and serenity of The Lake District, England’s most treasured national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Fall in love with Gretna Green, Scotland’s most romantic village and site of countless elopements in the past.
NEW! Cosmos’ Scottish Outlander Adventure (7 days, priced from Cdn$1,589 excluding airfare)
Travel back in time through the storied settings of fiction, fantasy, adventure and romance. From Glasgow to the Isle of Skye and beyond, Scotland’s rugged beauty stirs imaginations and transcends time. On this NEW tour of the Scottish Highlands, travellers will …
- Soak up the views surveyed by Scotland’s greatest Kings and Queens. Built atop a volcanic plug, Stirling Castle served as both a palace and fortress for centuries.
- Discover Strathpeffer, a highland spa town that rose to prominence during Victorian times. Today, it is a popular home base for exploring the coasts of the northern Highlands.
- Forget about Nessie and get lost in the breathtaking scenery on a cruise on the mysterious waters of Loch Ness.
- Be dazzled by 80 misty kilometres of superlative Scottish landscapes while travelling the rugged terrain of the Isle of Skye, made up of magnificent moors and mountains, woodlands and waterfalls, lochs and landscapes, cliffs and castles.
And, for Canadians looking for more of an à la carte option, the Globus family of brands’ NEW Cosmos Lite vacations offer a hassle-free way to discover Great Britain with the freedom to tailor each day according to individual interests, budgets and pace.
According to Bishop, the brand new Cosmos Lite brand is also unveiling two Undiscovered Britain tours for travellers in 2019: 7-day England Explorer (priced from Cdn$1,189 excluding airfare) and 7-day Scottish Explorer (priced from Cdn$1,189 excluding airfare). Like all Cosmos Lite itineraries, the inclusions have been slimmed down to include motorcoach transportation, accommodation with daily breakfast, the services of a professional Tour Director and a useful app. Days are free to explore as you wish, on your own or in the company of new-found friends.
In recent years, the Globus family of brands has increased and enhanced its portfolio of off-the-beaten-path tours through Britain. Among them, other incredible Globus vacation options include: 7-day Bonnie Scotland and 14-day Scottish Highlands & Islands.
DEAL ALERT: Book early & SAVE! Save 10% on a 2019 Globus vacation when you book by November 27 this year (Excluding Escapes by Globus). Book by October 23 this year and save $50 off 2019 Cosmos tours (excluding Cosmos Lite).