Silversea Cruises has unveiled a new wellness program, Otium, which is set to launch on new ship Silver Dawn and will welcome guests from spring 2022. In a nod to the cruise line’s Italian heritage, Otium takes inspiration from the leisurely nature of the ancient Roman lifestyle. In Roman culture, Otium – the opposite of negotium, the nonexistence of pleasure – was a period of time dedicated to leisure, in which people bathed, conversed, sung, theorized, drank, ate, and relaxed.
Diverging from existing wellness programs, Otium encourages balanced indulgence, pampering, and pleasure, and is built on the principles that wellness should be a natural, enjoyable part of the day; more a social pursuit that is best enjoyed with others.
“Silversea has long excelled at enabling guests to ‘travel deeper in luxury’,” said Barbara Muckermann, Chief Commercial Officer of Silversea Cruises. “While the immersive aspect of our offering is easy to convey, the luxuriousness of our product can often seem intangible: guests really need to see it – to live it – to fully appreciate it. Otium is unlike any other wellness program; it aligns perfectly with our brand positioning and will weave a tapestry of unprecedented comfort around our guests. It will revolve around instant gratification, extending the luxurious pampering for which Silversea is famous to different areas of the ship, from guests’ suites to the redesigned spa area and beyond. Otium will transform the way guests relax and enjoy their personal space. It will be an elevation of our already high levels of comfort.”
Otium will provide guests with a customized, multi-dimensional wellness journey throughout Silver Dawn, starting in some of the most spacious suites at sea, growing with a curated range of treatments in the reimagined spa, and trickling out to permeate every moment of the cruise experience. The result is an elevation of Silversea’s unique take on luxury, in which the fine details of the cruise experience have been enriched for guests’ enjoyment.
In a recent pilot of its new wellness program, Silversea showcased the following experiences as key pillars of Otium:
- The Otium Sleeping Experience: With guests spending more than a third of their time in bed, the Otium wellness program begins with an exceptional night’s sleep, tailored to each individual’s preference. Each of Silversea’s guests sleeps in the finest Egyptian cotton linens, produced in Italy by ambassadors of premium artisanship. Aboard Silver Dawn, guests in every suite category will also benefit from a special Otium-inspired mattress, designed exclusively for Silversea for the ultimate sleeping experience. Offering guests greater choice, the cruise line’s customary pillow menu will expand to include customizable down and feather blends, memory foam, firm down, and improved down alternatives.
- The Otium Bathing Experience: Integrating luxury into travelers’ daily routines, Otium will even extend to suite bathrooms, optimizing guests’ enjoyment of their personal space. Every suite category on Silver Dawn will offer guests the use of both a walk-in shower and a bath, in some of the most spacious bathrooms at sea. Otium will include a bespoke bathing experience, prepared by Silversea’s butlers, in which guests can indulge in a multisensory soak for complete relaxation. Enjoying plush Otium bathrobes, exclusive bath salts, and soothing candle lights, guests will bathe in bliss. They will unwind to the playlist of their choice from a curated musical menu, while savoring a range of delicacies, including caviar canapés, chocolate truffles, and champagne, among other luxurious comforts.
- The Otium Balcony Experience: Extending Silversea’s unique take on luxury to guests’ private balconies for the first dedicated balcony experience at sea, Otium will encourage travelers to slow down and enjoy the breathtaking views that stretch to the horizon before them. On some of the most spacious balconies at sea, guests will be able to tailor their experiences according to the climate, whether cruising in cold- or warm-water regions. In cool conditions—such as Antarctica, the Arctic, or the Russian Far East—Silversea has curated a pampering experience on guests’ balconies, with a warm cashmere blanket, a selection of delectable appetizers, and the first hot chocolate menu at sea. When sunbathing in warmer climates—from the Caribbean to the Mediterranean and beyond—guests can stay cool with refreshing body mists, luxurious sun creams, delicious cocktails, and gourmet bites.
- The Otium Comfort Food Experience: Silversea’s culinary offering is already among the most luxurious at sea, with a range of fine restaurants available on each ship, sustainable caviar and champagne on-demand 24/7, one of the largest complimentary wine lists at sea, and a vast range of signature delicacies on offer. With Otium, Silversea is enhancing its food and drink offering further still. Perhaps the most enriching aspect of the program is the addition of an in-suite comfort food menu, available 24-hours per day—designed to enhance guests’ movie nights, pre-dinner aperitifs, and other moments of leisure. Signature dishes on Otium’s comfort food menu will range from lobster and caviar in brioche rolls to a selection of gourmet popcorn, and other options that incorporate the cruise line’s premium ingredients.
- The Otium Spa Experience: Otium will guide guests on a journey of wellness throughout Silver Dawn, starting in guests’ suites, extending to the spa, and continuing into other public venues. Silver Dawn’s spa will be redesigned with Otium in mind, offering guests a highly selective treatment menu, designed by wellness experts for optimum relaxation. As well as enjoying relaxing massages and a range of other treatments, guests will be able to unwind and socialize in the spa’s thermal areas with a glass of champagne or signature snacks—enriched with trademark ingredients, from caviar to truffles. Rejuvenating treatments in the salon will complement Otium’s sensuous spa experience—at the heart of which lie enjoyment, indulgence, and instant gratification.
Watch a video in which Barbara Muckermann expands upon the Otium wellness program:
Find out more information about Otium and view Silver Dawn’s scheduled voyages, click here.