A month after Celebrity Cruises’ historic Celebrity Edge sailing, marking the first cruise to set sail from a US post since the COVID-19 pandemic, two more Celebrity ships departed from the U.S. over the past weekend (July 23 & 25, 2021), making it eight ships in eight weeks to return to sailing.
- Celebrity Millennium set sail July 23 from Seattle, Washington for a seven-night cruise exploring Alaska’s coastal destinations including Ketchikan, Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and Juneau. This marks the first of a series of nine itineraries roundtrip from Seattle through mid-September.
- Celebrity Equinox departs from Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday, July 25 for a seven-night cruise visiting the beautiful Mexican ports of Cozumel and Costa Maya, along with Nassau, Bahamas.
Both ships, which were recently part of a $500 million fleetwide ‘revolution,’ will be sailing with a vaccinated crew, and all U.S. guests ages 16 and older must be fully vaccinated.
Aboard the new luxury ship Celebrity Millennium guests will be treated to an experience that is as beautiful as the scenery they will encounter as they sail past Alaska’s breathtaking glaciers and landscapes.
“It’s really incredible to return to Alaska... to once again support the local culture and to share its stunning scenery with our guests. It is truly deserving of its bucket list status and I have always had a special place in my heart for its incredible people and natural beauty,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. “To be bringing tourism and the cruise industry back to Alaska is an honour and so important for rebuilding the economy of several key Alaskan communities. I am thankful to all elected officials involved for recognizing the need and finding a way to begin to restore their livelihoods.”
Sailing the line’s popular Alaska Dawes Glacier Cruise, Celebrity’s Alaska sailings will take guests to the most unforgettable coastal destinations including:
- Ketchikan – Uniquely nestled at the southernmost entry to Alaska’s famous Inside Passage, it is the best spot for a flightseeing excursion of the Misty Fjords;
- Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier – Sailing through this 30-mile-long stretch, guests are surrounded by granite cliffs, mountain valleys and gushing waterfalls before viewing the 600-feet-tall and half-mile wide Dawes Glacier. One of cruising’s must-experience highlights, the ship does a full turn here, providing views of this incredible feat of nature to guests on both sides of the ship;
- Juneau – This energetic capital city is home to Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts, and offers more hiking trails than roads;
- Skagway – Once the heart of the Gold Rush, visitors can explore the Yukon on the White Pass Railway.
- Icy Strait Point – On Chichagof Island just outside the village of Hoonah, this is the port of adventure and culture, providing a glimpse into life in Alaska’s largest Native Tlingit village.
The recently ‘revolutionized’ Celebrity Equinox’s first sailing features a seven-night Western Caribbean itinerary visiting the beautiful ports of St. Maarten and St. Thomas, along with Nassau, Bahamas. She then rotates between Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries.
“With each new ship that goes in the water, I’m overwhelmed by the palpable sense of reconnection on board for both our guests and our crew – with each other, their families and the world,” said Lutoff-Perlo. “Being together, again, and absorbing the beauty around us is what we’ve all dreamt about for over a year, and now it’s really wonderful to be a part of our guests’ aspirations to travel again.”
“Bringing a large cruise ship back into service isn’t as easy as turning the ignition key. It’s a multi-dimensional process that involves moving and training crew, large-scale procurement, mechanical adjustments, destination outreach, port availability, sales and marketing and so much more,” said Brian Abel, Celebrity’s senior vice president of hotel operations. “I couldn’t be more proud of the Celebrity team’s accomplishments. We were ready and we successfully executed this herculean effort with finesse to welcome our guests back onboard for the Celebrity experience they know and love.”
For more information, visit CelebrityCruises.com.