Vanessa has returned from an Avalon Waterways trip sailing along the Moselle River, which runs through the Mosel Valley and is considered to be the best place for Riesling in the world, and here are her impressions:
The Moselle river, with its charming and meandering course – complete with wonderful small towns and villages filled with cobblestone walkways and half-timbered houses – is most certainly a river less travelled. Having recently returned from a one- week cruise from Luxembourg through Germany to Holland on Avalon Waterways’ ship the Imagery II, I have reflected on the enjoyable aspect of a cruise in these tranquil waters. With Spring time being 'tulip time' in the Netherlands, these northern European countries can become very busy on the rivers – they literally become bustling highways as a number of river ships ply back and forth. So it was with great delight we found ourselves on the tidy little Moselle river, sailing on its narrow course, at one point with Germany on our starboard and Luxembourg on the port side and vineyards all around.
The picturesque Rhine River Gorge - an actual photo stylized into an impressionist work of art! By Tim Boyles.
Medieval Cochem with its magnificent castle, the charms of quaint Bernkastel, the magnificence of Roman Trier plus of course the unrivalled Rhine River Gorge and its plethora of castles and fortresses all contributed to the enjoyment of this delightful cruise on one of the Suite Ships from Avalon. A wonderful and spacious stateroom with the bed facing the view through an expansive wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling “balcony” window ensures a comfortable place to call home for the duration of one’s voyage. Wine with lunch and dinner every day, great service and some wonderful inclusions and entertainment moments, ensured every one of the 87 guests on board had a memorable experience.
Avalon Imagery II ship amenities:
- Wall-to-wall panoramic windows
- Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs, whirlpool, shade awnings, & outdoor deck game area
- State-of-the-art fitness centre
- Non-smoking staterooms & ship interior
- Convenient elevator service
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Outside viewing deck
- Headsets for guided shore excursions in Europe
- English-speaking friendly crew, staff & professional Cruise Director
- Sightseeing with Expert Local Guides
- Onboard lectures, activities & entertainment
- Room service for Continental breakfast
- Sky Deck whirlpool
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access
- Onboard Adventure Center with active gear, bikes, Nordic walking sticks, watercraft & maps
- Light lunch & casual dinner in the Panorama Bistro
- Avalon Choice cruising experience: choice of Leisurely, Traditional or Independent sightseeing pace options
- Onshore & Onboard experiences with regional customs, cultures & tastings with local artisans, experts & entertainers
- Self-serve beverage station with complimentary tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, including decaf options
- Complimentary bottled water, fresh fruit, and cookies available throughout the day
Click here for complete ship info and watch for the full article about this trip in an upcoming issue of Cruise and Travel Lifestyles.
The town of Cochem.